Article I: Name
The name shall be De Anza Latinx Association (DALA).
Article II: Vision and Mission Statement
The purpose of this Association shall be to:
The De Anza Latinx Association will honor, cultivate, and leverage the collective power, contributions, inclusivity and excellence of Latinx culture, knowledge, and wisdom.
We are an organization committed to the nurturing and development of Latinx employees through personal support, community building/networking, professional mentoring and transformative organizational development.
We aim to shape our institutional culture to reflect Latinx cultural values of prioritizing and uplifting our young people, and caring about our impact on generations to come.
Goals and Objectives
- Social and cultural programming
- Networking and leadership Opportunities
- Annual professional development retreat
- Support student success and college equity efforts
- Annual Latinx Student Recognition and Transfer Graduation Ceremony
- ADELA scholarship fundraising
Article III: Membership
Membership is open to current and retired De Anza College personnel.
Members are self-identified Latinx, Hispanic, Chicanx, or Native American.
The one-member, one-vote principle shall apply to members.
Academic year dues is a prerequisite to membership.
Non-paying members can participate but cannot vote.
Article IV: Officers
The officers of the Association shall consist of a three (3) Tri-Chairs (1 faculty, 1 classified, 1 administrator), Secretary, Treasurer, and four (4) Committee Chairs. The committees are as follows: Professional Development, Social & Cultural, Communications and Latinx Graduation Ceremony.
These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these Organization Agreements and those usually assigned to such officers.
The adhoc Membership Committee shall appoint an Elections Subcommittee in February. It shall be the duty of this Committee to issue a call for nominations of candidates for the offices to be filled. Candidates are limited to submit only a brief statement of qualifications. The Elections Subcommittee shall report the names and brief professional histories of qualified candidates to the membership.
The election of officers shall be by online ballot of the majority of those voting each March. Officers will serve according to the terms of each office. Officers are to attend all Steering Committee and general meetings.
The Tri-Chairs shall serve a three-year term, so that there is one Tri-Chair that is mentoring the New Co-Chairs in the third year of their term for continuity. The term of office shall begin in July. The duties of the Tri-Chairs shall be:
- Preside at all meetings of the Steering Committee and regular general meetings of the Association.
- Carry out all the orders of the Steering Committee and resolutions of the Association.
- Represent the Association in all matters before the President and the college administration in concurrence with the Steering Committee.
- Sign with the Treasurer all checks issued in the name of the DALA.
- Sign all contracts approved by the Association or the Steering Committee.
- Call special meetings of the Steering Committee as needed.
The Secretary shall serve a two-year term. The term of office shall begin in July. The duties of the Secretary shall be:
- Keep minutes of Steering Committee and general meetings.
- Maintain, type, and distribute notices, agendas, etc., in a timely fashion.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Co-chairs.
The Treasurer shall serve a two-year term. The term of office shall begin in July. The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
- Collect moneys as required.
- Open and maintain an agency account through the Foundation or a local Credit Union, including submitting monthly fiscal reports to the Steering Committee.
- Sign all check requests for expenditures along with the Co-Chairs.
- Keep updated account of all expenditures.
- Prepare an annual report to be submitted to the Co-Chairs.
The Committee Chairs shall serve two-year terms. The term of office shall begin in July. The duties of the Committee Chairs shall be:
- Attend monthly meetings of both Steering Committee as well as general monthly meetings.
- Keep the Steering Committee and the Association abreast of the activities of each committee.
- Plan and execute committee goals and objectives.
- Circulate materials to the membership for information/comments.
No member shall hold more than one office at a time, and no member shall be eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office. A member unable to continue serving shall be replaced by appointment of the steering committee and shall continue to serve until the term has expired.
Article V: Meetings
The general meetings of the Association shall be held according to the association’s annual calendar from July to June, inclusive, unless otherwise ordered by the Steering Committee or the Association.
The Fall quarter general meeting shall be known as the Annual Meeting and shall be for the purpose of presenting officers, report presentation by officers and committees, and for any other business that may arise.
Article VI: The Steering Committee
The Co-Chairs, Secretary, Treasurer, Committee Chairs, and Past Co-Chair of the Association shall constitute the Steering Committee. The Past Co-Chair will serve as an ex-officio member of the Steering Committee.
Article VIII: Amendment of Organization Agreements
These Organizational Agreements may be amended or repealed, after presentation of the amendments to the Steering Committee, at any regular meeting of the Association by majority vote.
No proposals relating to introduction, amendment, or repeal of group legislation shall be presented for vote to the general membership unless the proposal has been previously reviewed and approved by the Steering Committee.
Bylaws approved: Nov. 6, 2020