Applying for a State Driver's License
F-1 Visa students must present original immigration documents – not copies – when applying for a driver's license from the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Required documents include
- Passport – must be valid for at least 60 days after the date you apply for your driver's license
- I-20 or DS-2019 form – must be valid for at least 60 days after the date you apply for your driver's license
- Printout of your I-94 Arrival/Departure record
- Proof of residence – you must provide at least two documents that include your name and address. Examples
- Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner (landlord) and the tenant (resident)
- Utility bill
- Employment documents
- Medical documents
- Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education located in California
- Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
Be sure to bring your driver’s license from your home country to present to the officer at the DMV, as it may exempt you from the driving test.