How to Find a Place to Live
Information Provided On This Page Is For Advising Purposes Only.
Like most community colleges, De Anza does not offer on-campus housing. Most students find apartments or homes nearby. Please note that International Student Program Office does not endorse any housing options or resources listed in this guide. Any housing arrangement carries with it conditions which are beyond the control of the College.
In order to avoid scams when renting a place to live, we recommend you:
- Be alert and cautious if the manager or landlord asks you to sign a rental agreement
or pay a deposit before allowing you to see the property.
- Beware of wire transfers to unknown individuals. Use secure payment methods like checks, money orders, or direct deposit for renting to stay safe.
- Be cautious of too-good-to-be-true deals: the rent cost seems significantly lower than other apartments in the same area. Housing costs vary and most students choose to have roommates. View a range of housing prices in the Cupertino area.
Immerse yourself in American culture and enjoy a complete study abroad experience by residing with a family from the United States. You can check with a private company called International Student Placements, which arranges "homestays" with local residents who let students stay in their homes for a fee.
Please note: the homestay program is not operated by De Anza College! Please email Janaki at email@example.com if you have any questions about homestay program.
Finding A Roomate
If you’d like to find another student to live with, you can use Facebook to connect with others in the De Anza community. To advertise for a roommate or check housing listings within the De Anza community, join De Anza International Students Group.
Joining this group provides a great way to connect with fellow international students. You'll find listings from other students and community members, and you can create your own posts too.
Temporary Housing/Short-term Stay
If you plan to look for a place to live after your arrival in Cupertino and need a place to stay:
- Airbnb is a popular site for temporary stays.
- The following hotels are convenient by public transportation to De Anza:
- Crestview Hotel in Sunnyvale (26 min. by bus #53)
- Hilton Garden Inn in Cupertino (21 min. by bus #81)
- Towne Place Suites in Sunnyvale (30 min. by bus #53)
- Woodcrest Hotel (33 min. by bus #23)
- Cupertino Inn (32 min. by bus #81)
- Quality Inn Sunnyvale (41 min. by bus #54)
- Corporate Inn in Sunnyvale (44 min. by bus #55)
- To find the lowest rates for these and other local hotels, you can use a general search site, like:
Meet the landlord, see the place, and understand all terms before signing or paying fees.
If you are 18 years or older and have a preference for independent living or sharing accommodations with fellow students, you can rent a variety of apartment styles including a studio or a multiple bedroom apartment, share an apartment with other people, or rent a room in a house.
- Zumper: a free map-based search for locating home & apartment rentals. Zumper has simplified the process of finding off-campus housing, with unique, up-to-date listings and a simple application process.
- Rent.com: A free web and mobile service. Set preferences such as Pet-Friendly and Utilities-Included,
then “Search Nearby” via smartphone. Upload photos for later review to keep track
of visited properties. Consult Ratings & Reviews by prior tenants and Determine Commute
Times to school.
- HotPads: A map-based apartment and rental home search engine, listing homes for rent, apartments, condos and real estate.
- Zillow: A home and real estate marketplace dedicated to helping homeowners, home buyers, sellers, renters, real estate agents, mortgage professionals, landlords and property managers find and share vital information about homes, real estate, mortgages, and home improvement.